As Easter is approaching, I thought it would be a good time to talk about chocolate. All bipeds seem to love chocolate and they like to give chocolate eggs to each other as part of the celebrations at Easter.
Please remember not to share any with your dogs, cats or other small pets. There is something called theobromine in the chocolate that is toxic to us. The darker and stronger the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. The effect it has partly depends on bodyweight, so even a small amount of chocolate would be very dangerous for a Chihuahua or a Yorkie. You can read more about how much is fatal and what you should do if your dog has eaten some on Vets Now.
More people are now aware that chocolate is bad for us, so would not give it to us intentionally. But my biped reminded me that many dogs are opportunistic scavengers – she managed to make that sound as though it’s a bad thing! But she does have a point – it isn’t safe to leave chocolate where we can get it. Any dog can have a silly moment occasionally – I myself recently couldn’t resist the temptation of an ice cream when I found one, even though I knew I shouldn’t eat anything I find.
I have noticed that bipeds tend to think that if something is out of sight then it is okay. They forget that our noses tell us much more than their noses tell them! I know a Greyhound who didn’t normally touch any food that was left out, but when her bipeds went out for the evening she took the opportunity to eat the Easter eggs that were sitting on a shelf all wrapped up. Her bipeds had to rush her to see the vet when they returned home.
It is possible to get chocolate that is made especially for dogs – the dangerous substances have been removed. I refused to eat it when I was given some, but I’m sure that lots of dogs do like it. I would rather have a biscuit (cookie), please!
See you next Wednesday!