Chocs Away!

As Easter is approaching, I thought it would be a good time to talk about chocolate. All bipeds seem to love chocolate and they like to give chocolate eggs to each other as part of the celebrations at Easter.

Chocolate Easter egg

Attribution: Photo: Myrabella / Wikimedia Commons, via Wikimedia Commons

Please remember not to share any with your dogs, cats or other small pets. There is something called theobromine in the chocolate that is toxic to us. The darker and stronger the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. The effect it has partly depends on bodyweight, so even a small amount of chocolate would be very dangerous for a Chihuahua or a Yorkie. You can read more about how much is fatal and what you should do if your dog has eaten some on Vets Now.

More people are now aware that chocolate is bad for us, so would not give it to us intentionally. But my biped reminded me that many dogs are opportunistic scavengers – she managed to make that sound as though it’s a bad thing! But she does have a point – it isn’t safe to leave chocolate where we can get it. Any dog can have a silly moment occasionally – I myself recently couldn’t resist the temptation of an ice cream when I found one, even though I knew I shouldn’t eat anything I find.

Chocolates

Attribution: By Luisfi (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

I have noticed that bipeds tend to think that if something is out of sight then it is okay. They forget that our noses tell us much more than their noses tell them! I know a Greyhound who didn’t normally touch any food that was left out, but when her bipeds went out for the evening she took the opportunity to eat the Easter eggs that were sitting on a shelf all wrapped up. Her bipeds had to rush her to see the vet when they returned home.

It is possible to get chocolate that is made especially for dogs – the dangerous substances have been removed. I refused to eat it when I was given some, but I’m sure that lots of dogs do like it. I would rather have a biscuit (cookie), please!

See you next Wednesday!

42 Comments

  1. You are right Clowie, with Easter coming chocolate will be everywhere. When my children were small getting baskets it was very difficult to keep track of all the chocolate. These days with only Mom and Dad all chocolate is kept upstairs behind my closed bedroom door. The Newfs can’t get upstairs. I also always point out to them if I am eating something chocolate that they cannot eat any it will make them sick.
    tylersat99 recently posted…Black and White Sunday – FinallyMy Profile

    • It sounds as though you have a very good arrangement. My bipeds always tell me that chocolate is bad for me, but they’ll often give me one of my own treats from my treat jar.

  2. Great reminder Clowie, very helpful to bipeds at any time of year – happy #woofwoofwednesday ! 🙂

  3. We’ve heard so many stories of dogs being poisoned by chocolate – usually because they ‘helped themselves’. Dangerous stuff in the wrong mouths. We’ve tried ours on doggy chocolate drops – they weren’t impressed either 😉
    Animalcouriers recently posted…Meet our passengers from the UK: Odin, Bibi, Murphy, Twiglet, Mr Pickles, Douglas, Jim, Hugo, Ruben, Red, Fleur and MittensMy Profile

    • Yes, I think it often is because dogs have a tendency to help themselves when bipeds are out. It is worth putting chocolate where we can’t get at it.
      It’s good to hear that your dogs are as discerning in this matter as I am!

  4. Well said Clowie..the boys here have doggie chocs and really like them..but not often..Easter also means family friends who may not be as savvy about dogs and they need to be reminded maybe do not give chocolate to our pets..or cooked bones or table scraps..any event where large groups get together can mean a well meaning biped forgets the rules..our kids are up for Easter but they know the rules..especially Hot cross Buns which have sultanas and raisins..also deadly for dogs.Have a great day sweet Clowie loves Fozziemum xxxx
    Bev Green recently posted…Wet WednesdayMy Profile

  5. momwithoutpaws is drooling, and she knows it would be very bad for me also.
    fredrieka SweetPaws recently posted…Spring cleaningMy Profile

  6. My mom could eat chocolate until she explodes, but it is always safely locked up in a cupboard somewhere. No food is left out in the open unless it is intended for one of us pets to eat.
    Emma recently posted…Emma’s Easter PicksMy Profile

  7. Once Jen came home from work to find I’d found a bag of chocolates on the counter and had eaten them all…. well, all that were left in the bag. She FREAKED! So she quickly Googled what to do and began trying to pour peroxide down my throat to get me to puke. Needless to say, I wasn’t having it and there was a big mess. She also called the vet, who said because of my size and the amount I ate, I was probably fine. But now chocolates are always stored WAY up high!
    RumpyDog! recently posted…True Confessions: I’m (Not Quite) a Super HeroMy Profile

    • I think that would make my bipeds freak as well, Rumpy! These things can happen so easily. I bet she was watching you very carefully for any symptoms that evening.

  8. Yes, very important about chocolates. We had one mishap with of all things a chocolate lab, Eli, who got hold of a piece of dark choc. Our bipeds freaked but the vet said it wasn’t enough for his big size to cause any trouble. Nonetheless, our humans kept a close eye on us for a couple days after. They also searched out all the other things that act like poison to us fur balls. Have a good day, Clowie and your bipeds.
    Paulette Mahurin recently posted…RIP LADY LUCKMy Profile

    • Ha ha, and I thought chocolate labs were named for their colour! I’m sure the bipeds did keep a close eye on you all for symptoms. Some of the things that can cause problems are quite surprising.
      I hope you’re all having a good week!

  9. mmmmmmm yummy! All these chocolate photos have made me crave some! hahaha!!! but yes, your absolutely right! Chocolate is so dangerous for dogs, and we need to remember to keep it far far away!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!
    Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady recently posted…Pet Jewelry, Dog Supplements And Husky BeautyMy Profile

    • I think all the bipeds reading this have probably eaten extra chocolate today! It is important to keep it away from dogs.

  10. we had such an EGG-ccident with the fox terrier, she ate advocaat filled eggs including the wrapping paper… that was a challenge for the vet, but he fortunately could handle a drunken terrier. I don’t like chocolates, that’s crazy and I don’t know why, but I never beg when they eat that brown stuff… a mystery :o)
    easy rider recently posted…easyblog TV TUESDAYMy Profile

    • Yes, sometimes the fillings are as dangerous as the chocolate! I wonder if a “hair of the dog” cures a doggy hangover!

  11. Mike likes sharing his candies with Honey so much he started eating Zagnuts (coconut and peanut butter; no chocolate). Personally, I don’t think they’re so healthy for either of them.
    Pamela recently posted…What Does Your Dog Do All Day? – Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

  12. Brilliant post. Needed advice as Easter nears.

    Woofs from Earl, Ethel and I at Earl’s World!
    Earl Lover recently posted…Borders BondingMy Profile

  13. This is good timing for this important warning/reminder, C. Mom is not a fan of chocolate, so there’s never much of it around. Besides, I saw her hiding my Easter treat in the closet. It’s a giant bag of dehydrated sweet potatoes! I can’t wait!

    Love and licks,
    Cupcake
    Cupcake recently posted…Countdown WednesdayMy Profile

  14. Thank you Clowie, for reminding everyone that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Great advice about keeping it out of reach, too. I do know some dogs who like the fake chocolate biscuits, but mostly we just use the regular ones.
    Debbie D. recently posted…THE GREAT THEME REVEAL OF 2015! #AtoZChallenge #AtoZRevealMy Profile

  15. A very good thing to remember Clowie. We don’t have any pups here but my Sis-in-law has two dogs. I am pretty sure they know about chocolate but I might just mention it.. 🙂 Have a nice rest of the week Clowie!

  16. Good time for a reminder. Thanks for the delish pics too!
    Slimdoggy recently posted…Intense Workouts for You and Your DogMy Profile

  17. Great reminder, Clowie! Our Luke is a counter surfer, and even though we’re working with him on that, we never take a chance of leaving any chocolate within his (long) reach. I imagine there are still people out there who still don’t know how dangerous it can be too.
    Jan K recently posted…#52Snapshots – “Spring”My Profile

    • Thank you. I’m not allowed to counter surf either – I’m tall enough to check if there’s anything interesting on it by running my nose along the edge while keeping all four paws on the ground, but they never seem to leave anything interesting there.

  18. Aurora Jean Alexander

    Thanks for the reminder Clowie. And take care. I hope you’re going to have a great Easter. Even though there won’t be chocolate for you!

  19. Thank you for this very important reminder.
    Travel Animal Doctor recently posted…We’ve Got Personality: An Interview with JasmineMy Profile

    • It is important, I think most cases of chocolate poisoning are because dogs have taken advantage of chocolate left where they can get it.

I love reading your comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge